Friday, August 18, 2006

Waffle House

I ate at Waffle House on Thursday. I was by myself and waffles and hashbrowns sounded like a good lunch. While I was waiting and eating I scribbled on a napkin. This is what I wrote:

My alone day

nails clipped, scuffed, made to shine

next to hair, clipped, flipped, curved around my neck, sheared off, the short hair that often bristles when the ghosts tread across my grave.

Practicing being alone, what if I'm the one left alone instead of leaving the others all alone.

Food - my comfort

chatter around the counter, everybody here eating alone, interacting with the waiters, or whatever they are called at Waffle House.

Do these people all live alone, who waits for them, what color are their sheets.

Solitude, lonliness, what is the difference?

2 comments:

Dina said...

Solitude good; loneliness bad.
Hi Alice. Did you really go to the tomb of Maimonides?! Wow.
I didn't have enough free time to visit all the famous tombs in Tiberias. But soon I plan to post about the old cemetery.
Shalom to you.

Bubbealice said...

After all these years, I see this comment in this old journal. I want to revive it.

Yes, I did go to the Tomb of Maimonides. We all were moved to tears with the story of the how he came to be buried there. I loved everything about Israel. We hope to go back one day soon. Alice